Right here’s a rundown of the highest life sciences and well being information throughout the Pacific Northwest this week.
Seagen CEO resigns after home violence arrest: Clay Siegall resigned as CEO and chairman of Seagen within the midst of home violence allegations, more than 24 years after he co-founded the publicly traded firm.
Q&A with Windfall’s new digital chief: We spoke with Sara Vaezy, who not too long ago took over to steer the well being system’s Digital Innovation Group, to get her tackle spinning out startups and the way forward for well being tech.
Cautious optimism for biotech amidst inventory market rout: Publicly traded biotech firms are shedding packages and shedding staff as their valuations sink, however some tendencies assist a more constructive outlook. Biotech vet Hans Bishop and different audio system on the Life Science Innovation Northwest occasion weighed in, together with Ernst & Younger associate Richard Ramko.
More life sciences and well being information:
Biotech boards keep the course:
- Zymeworks rejected a $733 million takeover bid by a tech-focused funding agency. The agency spiced up its bid with a proposed board that features Pulitzer prize-winning science author and oncologist Siddhartha Mukherjee.
- An activist shareholder at Athira Pharma suspended his marketing campaign to place himself and an affiliate on the board with the purpose of changing the CEO. Shareholders put the ultimate nail within the marketing campaign this week, approving the corporate’s nominees to the board as a substitute.
- Neoleukin Therapeutics introduced that its first affected person was dosed in a examine of NL-201, its therapeutic candidate for strong tumors, together with Merck’s Keytruda. NL-201 is a completely engineered agent designed by the Seattle firm to tweak the immune system.
- Seattle-based Chinook Therapeutics offered knowledge on two candidate therapies for kidney illness in part 1/2 and part 2 trials. The information counsel that each candidates had been well-tolerated and have an effect on proteinuria, elevated ranges of protein within the blood indicating kidney harm.
- Victoria, B.C.-based Aurinia Prescribed drugs additionally offered knowledge on an ongoing trial, exhibiting long-term security and tolerability of its agent designed to deal with kidney harm in sufferers with Lupus.
Public well being:
- Washington World Well being Alliance not too long ago launched a report monitoring jobs, wages, funding and the financial influence of the sector in Washington state. The findings exhibits 196 organizations that work in world well being, using more than 16,000 folks.
- Starbucks joined Amazon, Microsoft and different Seattle-area firms in masking journey bills for staff looking for abortions.
- PATH supported a COVID-19 vaccination marketing campaign reaching practically 65,000 folks in a distant space of Bangladesh. The Seattle nonprofit described the hassle in a put up.
- The internal workings of the lab of David Baker, head of College of Washington’s Institute for Protein Design, are explored in a function by Endpoints Information.
- Chemical & Engineering Information options the fast-growing space of antibody-drug conjugates, a category of therapies pioneered by Bothell, Wash.-based Seagen. Thirty such brokers entered medical trial in 2021.
Sat, Might 21: UW Aquatic Sciences’ open house options family-friendly and hands-on actions. Study corals, whales, fish and “what’s on the underside of Puget Sound.”
Tue, Might 23: Life Science Washington hosts the primary of a number of profession improvement workshops on getting ready scientists for trade careers.
Wed, Might 25: Fred Hutch hosts a midday “Science Says” hour centered on precision oncology, adopted by a day of talks by ladies leaders in most cancers analysis.
Credit score: Source link